Covering around 100 diseases, Arthritis is a broad medical term used to refer to joint inflammation problems. This includes pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints. Let us understand more about this common problem that affects 1 out of every 5 adults and becomes more prevalent with the increasing age.
What is a Joint?
The point at which two or more bones come together is called as a joint. It is covered by a spongy smooth material called cartilage that provides cushioning to the bones and allows movement to the joint without any pain. This joint is further lined by synovium that produces the synovial fluid that helps in the joint nourishment and limiting the friction. It is then covered by a strong casing known as the joint capsule.
What are the different types of arthritis?
There are three common types of arthritis that a person can suffer from. These are:
- Osteoarthritis: This is one of the most common type of arthritis that causes the wearing away of the cartilage. This causes the bones to rub against each other causing pain and swelling. This degeneration or breakdown happens mostly happens due to age but can accelerate in case of an injury like fractures near the joint or athletic injuries. Though it can affect in any joint, it mostly affects the hands, hips, knees and facet joints.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Another common joint affecting disease is rheumatoid arthritis. Under this, the body’s immune system starts attacking the joints mistakenly causing swelling of the joint. This inflammation damages the bones and cartilage and can even affect other body parts of the body in severe cases.
- Gout: This type of arthritis happens when a person suffers from high uric acid. This acid then forms needle shape crystals within the joints causing pain and swelling. This affects the toes, wrist joints and knees.
What are the common causes of arthritis?
There are many different causes of arthritis though many are still unknown. This is because genetics and heredity too plays a major role in the development of arthritis in a person. Common causes of arthritis are:
- Joint injuries that lead to degenerative arthritis
- Abnormalities in the metabolism causing pseudogout and gout
- Arthritis following urine and gastrointestinal infection – Reactive arthritis
- Overactive immunity system causing rheumatoid arthritis
- Being overweight leads to stress on weight bearing joints causing osteoarthritis
What are the symptoms of arthritis?
Though different types of arthritis have different symptoms, there are some signs that can indicate the onset of arthritis in the body. These include:
- Swelling, stiffness or inflammation of joints
- An intermittent or constant pain in the joints
- Deformity in the joints
- Fatigue and feeling unwell
- Gland swelling
How can Arthritis be treated?
The treatment of different types of arthritis is different as per its severity, location and persistence. The treatment program has to be customized as per every person’s specific medical history and genetics. Though there are some home remedies that help in the pain management of arthritis-affected joints, it is best to consult a specialist for best arthritis treatment results. We in Accord Hospital, Faridabad has the best doctor for arthritis treatment.